Compiled by Demetria D. Taylor
* Green roofs reduce dependence on the air conditioning by 10 percent, reduces solar heat gain by 95 percent and cooling needs from 25 to 50 percent.
* Making cans from recycled aluminum cuts related water pollution by 97 percent.
*Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to run a TV for three hours. Americans uses 2.5 million plastic bottles per hour.
*Every year, Americans dispose of enough plastic to shrink-wrap the entire state of Texas. * All steel products contain at least 25 percent recycled contents.
* Every ton of recycled paper saves 17 trees, 7,000 gallons of water, and 4,100 kilowatts of electricity.
* 80-90 percent of all lead acid (motor vehicle) batteries are recycled nationally.
* You can't make new steel without recycled steel.
* About 630 steel cans are recycled every second.
* The automobile is the most recycled consumer product today.
* A recent EPA survey shows that at least 36 states are anticipating local, regional or statewide water shortage by 2013.
* Letting your faucet run for five minutes uses about as much energy as letting a 60-watt bulb run for 14 hours.
* 75 percent of each tree that is cut down for paper is not used in paper productions.
* In the U.S., the average person releases 10,000 pounds of carbon dioxide each year.
* The air indoors can be five times as polluted as the air outdoors.
* Of the 10,500 chemicals found in the personal care products, only 11 percent have been tested.
You can find these facts and others at: